Navigation

Welcome

The Rye Fire Department is a combination full time and paid on call department. The station is normally staffed with at least two firefighter/ EMT's who provide initial response for fires and ambulance calls. In the event of an emergency all off duty full time firefighters are recalled along with the fifteen to twenty paid on call firefighters. In addition to fire fighter certification, the overwhelming majority of Rye's firefighters are certified emergency medical technicians, including 5 paramedics.


Town of Rye

The first settlement in New Hampshire, established by David Thompson in 1623 at Odiorne's Point, and named Pannaway. Originally part of Portsmouth, it was incorporated as a parish of New Castle in 1726. The town is named for the borough of Rye, a flourishing English Channel town. Rye's eight-mile length of coastline is dotted with old names such as Wallis Sands, Jenness Beach, Locke's Neck, Ragged Neck, Rye Harbor, and Odiorne Point. In 1876, four of the Isles of Shoals were annexed to the town, the only New Hampshire town with Atlantic islands. The remaining five islands belong to Maine.

Rye is a town in Rockingham County, New Hampshire. As of the census of 2000, there were 5,182 people, 2,176 households, and 1,462 families residing in the town.

The town has a total area of 35.5 sq. mi. 12.6 sq. mi. of it is land and 22.9 sq. mi. of it is water, comprising 64.45% of the town. The highest point in Rye is Breakfast Hill (151 feet above sea level).